Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What if? Why not?

Welcome to yet another NEWbie for W2 Scrapbooking!  You've heard me say it before, and I will say it again, AND I will continue to say it - what if...why not?

So be sure to check the blog (and facebook) for on Wednesdays - can't promise you it will be every Wednesday, but I will do it as often as I can and continue to share and hopefully inspire you too to try something different with perhaps a product you already even have.  Use it outside it's box, experiment with products, you never know what you will discover! Enjoy the experience, it is a lot of fun!

So, for today's What If, Why Not - I used embossing enamel mixed with translucent embossing paste in my journal.  So often this is a product that is used more in card making, tags and even scrapbooking.  It is not something normally seen in an art journal - my take...why not (and hey, it's Wednesday to boot)!

Here goes nothing...or better yet - something wonderful!

I started off by sealing my page (mixed media paper) with Liquitex Clear Gesso and allowed to dry (with the help of a heat tool of course).




Mixed them up using a palette knife, the texture of this is amazing!


I applied it to the page over a Traci Bautista Flower Party Stencil (making sure to clear off the stencil as soon as I was done in some warm water).


check that out - isn't that gorgeous!


time for some heat!


When you see the enamels 'bloom' you know it has done it's job.


Let it sit for a few more hours so the translucent aspect of the paste could also do their job (dry clear)!


here is an angle so you can see that glorious texture!


So, there are pro's and con's to using these products together.  Pro, the texture! Con, there is a glitter along with the enamels and thus 'clogging' the translucency part of this paste.  The transparency is visible, just not as much as in other applications.  So thinking next time I may try a gel medium, will look more that for another time.

Time to add some layers (and color)!  Decided to use my Lindy's (again) , this time the Little Lindy's Blue Set. I started with the Moon Shadow Mist (Buccaneer Bay Blue)


Don't be shocked when it comes out brown, it does show blue as is processes on your page.  I allowed to dry for a few minutes between each application of color, and blotted off access with a rag.


Next came Starburst Spray (Tiffany Lou Blue)


Guess I didn't take a photo in between the two colors here, but you can see it slightly in the photo below as it is taken before I add the shown color.  The next color applied is once again a Starburst (Auere Sea Asters)


Here it is all blotted and someone dried - I wish you could actually see the color and shimmer, it doesn't show well in this photo.


Time for some more color - this time I am adding some Tim Holtz Distress Paint (Peacock Feathers) around the edges 


Decided I needed more of that color, so used the dabber and scribbled inside each of the flowers, so you could actually now tell they were flowers.


It was not possible to to use the dabber top to do the petals, so I simply dabbed some onto my craft mat added some water and used one of my finer brushes to paint the petals.





I found it a bit too dark in the center so I did what any sane crafter would do...added more water!


And since I had the water out, thought what better a time than to bring out the Lindy's Magicals (Time Travel Teal) from the Industrial Chic Set.  If you seen some of my previous pages, I am a little addicted to these right now! 


Sprinkled on and then lamb basted with water (perhaps a tad too much)


After blotting, this is how it ended up.  Can't say as I am done yet, I think it need some black or perhaps some deep shade of brown.  The color of the enamels is similar to Gathered Twigs Distress Ink, so that may make an appearance too.  Thinking the flower petals need some more definition as well, and watercolor pencils or, hey - Twinkling H20's!!


Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.  I will leave this right now as a 'page in progress' and continue to work on it and hopefully show you the final results in a later post.  Have a great day!

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...