Tuesday, April 26, 2016

a little inspiration....on tuesday

This past weekend I took a few hours each morning and made time for me.  This is what came of it.

This is the continuation of the 'Tale of Three Pages" saga - this was me trying the idea using Tissue Paper (in this case, 7 Gypsies Collage Tissue Creme Silhouettes) and Matte Medium.  Being a bit sheepish this time around, I only applied the Matte Medium with a palette knife in a rough application and laid the tissue over top and let it dry fully.



I tore off the tissue where there was no matte medium, it was a bit bare in some areas so I simply added more to the spots and once again let it dry.


I applied a coat of Clear Gesso  so that the next layers would grip and also allow me to wipe away what I wanted.  When the Gesso was dry, I applied some Titan Buff paint using my Silicone Brush.
 

This is where is might have gone a bit sideways!  I was thinking I would use my DecoArt Antiquing Creams and continue on with the peeled paint effect... 
Again, applying with my Silicone Brush, Once dried, rubbed off with baby wipe.  It was too dark for my liking, so scraped on some more Titan Buff. 




Now went over with a coat of the Grey Antiquing Cream and once dried, thought I would ghost through a stencil (Crafter's Workshop Viva la Art TCW488)


Was liking how it was going, so continued on using a few of the Tim Holtz Layering Stencils (Lattice Work THS019, Chevron THS024, and Numeric THS054) 




I liked it, but once again, got ahead of myself and ended up covering it all with the Cream before sealing it so it too would not come off...oops! So thought I might try going the same root again, but stopped part way through when I figured I was not going to get the effect I had intended. 


So more paint (antiquing creams) it was! 


Tried doing a few ghosting passes , but was again not getting what I wanted.  This time I was using the Tim Holtz Layering Stencil Countdown (THS058)



Then I ended up adding a few passes with the Industrial (THS051) stencil as well. 


Now I pulled out my DecoArt Chalk Paints and applied them over some Dorland's Wax.  I applied the wax using my finger over the areas I did not want the paint to stick.  Once it was dry, I rubbed off with baby wipe.



I repeated the same technique however this time I used a different color paint.


You can see I tried using a Dina Wakley Stencil (Alphabetic) but was not getting a crisp enough image. 



So I decided to apply some of the next layers using a brayer.  I ended up blending two of the DecoArt paints to get a color I was happy with (American Decor Chalky Finish Rouge and DecoArt Media Antiquing Cream English Red Oxide).


Then I thought I would try the ghosting again... 


Wasn't happy - so went in a totally different direction - again.  I pulled out one of my large stencils (purchased at staples) and applied Light Modeling Paste in a jumbled format.  Now it had to dry.



Once it was totally dried, I went over it with a glazed layer of DecoArt Media Burnt Umber.


When I wiped it off, wasn't happy with color, so added another layer, this time glazing with Quinacridone Gold


This is how it sits for now.  Will no doubt go back for more on the right side - but for now...I've turned the page!


My next page was intended to be an abstract painting in my journal...again, not quite what I intended.  I started out with a gesso'd page and pulled out the newest color release from Dina Wakley.  I applied using a hotel key card and a lot of water. 








Not being at all happy with it - I stated to finger paint over it all (still using Dina's paints). 


  I then pulled out my brayer and Dina's Night and brayered over the entire page. I had originally planned on using the Donna Downey Keyole Splatter Stencil (DD015), but then ended up switching to Crafter's Workshop Alhambra (TCW487) 





 This is where this one stands for now as well.  May leave it as is...but you never know! 


Then, if you follow me on Instagram (@w2scrpbk) or Facebook you will have seen me posting a few pages in progress over there too.  Here is one I was working on using the new Faber Castell Paper Crafter Crayons and Gelatos

Using a gesso'd page, I started coloring and blending the  crayons.  I found quickly that I did not like the crayons by themselves, but when I added the Gelatos to the party...woohoo!! 




Stencil Girl Stencil Warped Holes used to ghost with baby wipe.  I moved the stencil around to suit me and get the coverage I wanted.



Sorry, this is where I forgot to take photos!  I laid out a Crafter's Workshop Stencil (the guts part) of  Casey & Penelope (TCW355) along with Sunrays TCW353s (both designed by Dina Wakley).  I sprayed with my mix of airbrush medium and black paint.  I was careful not to spray too much as I still wanted the background to come through.  Once it was dried, I scribbled using my fineliner filled with white paint.


The final one I worked on over the weekend was again using Dina Wakley's newest color release.  Did it in my newest homemade journal (12x12").  Sorry for the lack of photos on this one, but it is pretty easy to follow.  I dry brushed the colors on using my 1" Dina brush (my fave by far).  The colors blend beautifully.


Once dry, I again dry brushed on White paint making sure the brush strokes were visible.  


Now using my Dina Wakley Media Halves Stencil, wiped off randomly in a pattern.  Sometime trying harder to get right to the base while rubbing off the white.


Again, this is where this one stands, really like it - but guessing I will do something more to it eventually.

For now...I am off.  Heading to North Carolina to take part in Donna Downey Studio's Inspired Artist Workshop.  Can't wait to be inspired...

see you next week.

No comments: