Friday, June 10, 2016

Weekend Junket #12


#w2wj12

inspired by/muse - Crystal Neubauer
texture - add ephemera
add character - use india ink or some other form of 'color ' medium 

Head over to Pinterest and search Crystal Neubauer take the first image of hers' that catches your eye and use it for some inspiration and create a page or project based on her style.

Again these prompts will allow you a lot of freedom. Don't be afraid to think outside and beyond your tools and products.  Challenge yourself - you will be surprised and happy with the results.


Inspiration is everywhere, enjoy your journey....

**more details on these challenges can be found on the Weekend Junket tab above**


Here is my take...

I pulled out an old Tim Holtz Paper Stash pad (Destinations) and torn out a few sheets that I thought would work for what I was doing.  I laid them out on top of the the 10x10" wooden substrate board that my hubby had made for me.

 


 Here are a few shots of it once I had it all adhered down.  I used Golden Regular Gel Matte to put it down as these are quite thick papers. I used my palette knife to spread it all out and smooth out the papers.  You can see I wrapped the board.  So I tore and placed as needed.




Once it was all dry, I put my first coat of Dorland's Wax mixed with DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in Titan Buff.  I used a mix of my Catalyst Wedge and old credit card.  Focusing on making sure the tears really go a good coating and push of the wax. 



I let it dry for about an hour then went on with the next coat - this time Dorland's Wax and Golden Fluid Acrylics Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold. 


I did the same process as previous, but this time I wiped away with a baby wipe in a few places that I wanted the words to show through.




I applied yet another layer, this time using DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in Medium Gray Value 6 witht he Dorland's Wax.





I wasn't overly happy, so I added yet another layer of the Wax mixed with Titan Buff. 


I tried adding some black accents - first I used my Stabilo Woody in Black, but it just didn't do it for me.



I ended up wiping it off and then trying several other versions* and ended up with this.
 *included: black fluid acrylic via a fineliner (nope), india ink (nope, just separated...oil & water). My final 'ok' application was suing the Prima Oil Pastels which are water soluble and blended great....maybe too great - so I did have to remove some access with a baby wipe.




Hope you find some inspiration from this as well, I look forward to seeing what you too have done with this set of prompts.  Don't forget to hashtag your creations if posting on Facebook or Instagram.

#w2wj12

...see you next time!



No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...