Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I was {ART} Challenged!

Last week I received a wonderful little package from a friend in the states - Kim (@jadesuttonart on Facebook and Instagram) sent me a little something because she saw it and thought of me and wondered what would Wendy do?

It always makes me smile when friends think of me - especially when it comes to anything artsy! Kim sent me three bundles of colored gauze (black, white & grey). It didn't take me long to get inspired for this one (which turned out to be plural - ones), wonder what I did? Here you go...


I pulled out one of my 12x12" homemade cradled boards (mdf topper) and go to work!  I used Prima's Finnabair Art Basics Heavy Gesso (sorry, sold out in the store, I wonder why?) in White and my faithful (and you all know favorite) Palette Knife.


You can see I decided to switch to my Catalyst Wedge to apply the gesso (oops)! I put a good coat on, but not enough to bleed into the gauze, just enough to allow it to grab and act as the glue.


Started out with the grey and layered it across the top.


Next came the addition of the black, repeating the same process. 


Then I added the white crossing over where they met. 


I had random threads of fiber that had come off the gauze so of course I included them as well along with some other fibers from the shop.



Once it was somewhat dry, I ended up pulling off the center fibers so I could now used my palette knife to scrape and drag Prima's Finnabair Heavy Gesso in Black over the black gauze and Some Grey paint (mixed with Heavy White Gesso) over the grey gauze.







Now it was time to start adding he fibers I had taken off previously.  This is a favorite of mine to use from the shop.  It is Linen Frayed Burlap in Smoke color (made by Maya Road)


I put some random swipes of the Heavy White Gesso to hold down the burlap fiber and the layer of White Gauze on top of it.


Not liking how it looked on it's own, I added a random torn piece of vintage pattern tissue from my stash...


...making sure that the various random threads where placed strategically (haha).


here are a few close ups...







As this one needed to dry I thought I would pull out some one (or two) of my 6x6" mdf panels and try some more (heck, why not?!).  Again, it started out with Prima's Finnabair Art Basics Heavy Gesso in White (yes, I used my palette knife)! I applied a fairly heavy coat (maybe venture to say too much).


Laid grey and black on it....


...then thought I'd use my brayer in embed it into the gesso.


Yuppers,  a tad too much gesso - kind of looks like the making of a cast doesn't it?! So more black was added!


Along with some vintage papers from my stash.


So what did I do, I started a second 6x6" to add to the 'series'. One is great, two is better, three is even more better, right?


I then added some of the vintage pattern tissue to help tie them all together.  Here are some close ups of each...





Now it was time to add even more texture, so I pulled out some drywall tape (mesh) and cut off random strips to add to each piece. 




Now that they were dried, this was my next step - addition of Dorland's Wax!


I mixed each of the 'colors' previously used with some Dorland's Wax. 
 

I started with grey and scrapped it on with my catalyst tool, really working it in.  Not worrying if I tore or moved the gauze.



Next was the Black, same process.




Then White.  Some areas I would really pull back the wax mix as I wanted the lower layer to show through.




I had lots of extra wax mixes left, so I pulled over the larger 12x12" board to work it in there too.



I allowed it to dry for over 24 hours as the wax takes quite a while to set.  You can't see in any of the photos, but there are some scrapes in the wax that I made with different tools (stylus, edge of my catalyst tool and pen nib).  I thought I would try a glaze now, really having no idea if it would work, but thought what the heck - why not, it's Wednesday! I tried it on the 6x6's only (so far). 


Mixed up a batch of Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid (Satin) and DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics Titan Buff and brushed in in pretty hard with my Dina Wakley Media Flat (1") Brush.



I allowed it to set for about 2 minutes, then went after them with baby wipes and scrubbed off hard in some places more than others as I wanted the black & grey to especially show up still.






I added one more touch with my We R Memory Keepers Sew Stamper Set (Straight Stitch).



I have not done any more with these (or the 12x12") one yet as I am not sure if they are 'done'! I still have quite a bit of the gauze left that Kim sent, and have a few more ideas on how to use it.  Thanks you Kim for thinking of me - thinking it might be my turn to send you something to see what you will do this time!!

To see Kim's creative genius, please check her out here:




Kim was also a featured artist on Ranger - check it out here!


Until next time my friend....





No comments: