Friday, September 29, 2017

Last one for the week - Collage!

Here they are - the final ones for the week, now quite sure what next week will bring - but will do my best to get on here a few times.  Have a busy weekend ahead of me but will do my best to carve some time out for art!

This first one for today was inspired by me wanting a simple black and white spread.  Once again, I will apologize for the lack of process pictures, but pretty sure by now, you can figure out my thought process on these pages.



As you can see, I was not able to leave it strictly as a B&W page, it needed that POP of color.  Not wanting the Washi Tape to be the focus, I did layer some more grey toned washi tape over top.  




For me, the focal point is the grouping of the Butterfly and the plant image - agreed?


Again, simple but very rewarding! 



This next one took me a bit longer as you will see from how I started to how I finished.  Being that the previous one was B&W(ish), I thought it would be cool to try and do a 'kraft' one.  The base of the page is basically bits and pieces from an old Canvas Corp Sampler (Light Neutral) that has small samples of their papers and such. 


As I was adhering the layers the idea of using a large stamp popped in my head.  I have some Art Foamies kicking around that I really have not made use of yet - only because... I have no excuse! This one is HUGE! I believe is is about 10x4" and is called Leaf Vine.  As you can see, I stamped it using Ranger's Archival Ink - Tree Branch (obviously a fave).  The kraft paper I am layering here is one of my favorites - it is on the site here - and the photo does not do it justice...I really should update it.  It is a very light weight (thin) paper, similar to a grocery bag...with texture. I adore it for collage and scrapbooking alike simply due to it's affordability and weight for layering multiple times.


Thinking it needed something more (cream), I pulled out another sample from package and then added the remnants of some Jenni Bowlin Studio Perforated Sheet (Stamp) along with some cream burlap.  I tied a piece of hemp twine vertically around the strip and tied a knot.


I added a vintage button (that is a funny story that I may have to tell you about one day, or I might have if I look waaaaaaay back on my blog). The addition of the vintage photo is perfect as well, gives it the much need contrast and really pops.




You can see that I just can't leave it as a neutral page - I add the old 7 Gypsies Printed Tape - the cream and sage polka dots seemed fitting!  I played around with the placement of the tape and ended up as the last image.  Happy camper I am! 




Last one for today and this week. It was a blast to do and so enjoying the tones of it!

Here is my practice layers...kinda bland...


So thought I should pull out some of my vintage patterns and start using them! The page was adhered down using Collage Pauge then sealed the same way.


Now it was time to start layering again!  This time I am much happier...I think!  
TIPSTER - I've said it before and I'll say it again - take photos along the way.  It now only gives you perspective and a new view - it is great for those of us who like to upcycle and leverage their artwork and use it over and over again!



Time to start gluing it all down.  To these pieces, I simply used UHU glue.


These next two shots I am still playing around with the final placement of the top collage element.



You can see which one I finally end up with, now it was time for some ink splats!  I used FW Acrylics in Sepia.



I dab the ink splats with a rag so you are able to see them better and to get that staining effect.


This is also when I decided I should have inked my edges! So carefully (kinda), I start scraping the the inverted stamp pad along the edges and surfaces where I wanted it.


Now I am liking it much more!


Final page!


Thank you so much for following along this week!  I hope you have enjoyed my mini tuts and process pictures.  Maybe you've learnt a tip or trick along the way or at least been inspired enough to pull out your supplies and PLAY!


Don't forget to keep an eye on my Instagram and Facebook accounts (and I'd love it if you would follow along) as I tend to post there more often (just not as much detail)!

Most products are linked to my online store W2 Scrapbooking & Mixed Media Art Studio and if I don't carry it, I will often link to where you can find it.

until next time...

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...