Sunday, October 8, 2017

Upcycled Book Journal

As promised, here is a quick mini tutorial on my Upcycled Book Journal.

This was uber quick to put together and must say a tab fun!  I started out with an old hardcover fiction book I picked up at a thrift store.  Depending on what you are wanting to use for papers inside will determine what size book to pick out. 

Since I was using some of my stash papers - let's face it, we all have a 'toteload' (or two, or three or ten) of these and for some reason just can't seem to use them.  Well, enough is enough...I'm using them!

My book measures just over 5.5" x 8.25" with a 1.25" spine.


Taking a packing knife, I simply cut down the edge of the hard cover edge where the actual book pages meet the cover, and slice down the edges being careful not to cut through the spine.


There you go, a dismantled book!  You can either use those inner pages as collage fodder or put them in the recycle bin.


I picked out some of my Prima Sunrise Sunset Collection that I have seriously been hoarding for waaaaay too long (circa 2013, but sadly I have pages even older than these)! So trial sake as I was not wanting to destroy too many pages if I didn't have to - I pulled a sheet of 8.5x11" paper out of my recycle bin and folded it in half to see if it would work in size for my inserts.  I decided to cut it down to 8 7/16x11", I know - but that 1/16" made a difference to me!  


I first cut five sheets to those dimensions and folded them in half.  Knowing that was not going to fill the journal nor make me happy, I quickly decided to make a variety of page sizes.  My pages now ranged form the 8 7/16 x 12" all the way down to 4.5x12".  So 12" you ask? Huh? Well if you look at the photo below, it will all make perfect sense!  I folded some of the pages!  Not all the pages are actually folded in half - but off centered so I could create a flip out within.


I created three signatures of eight sheets of paper per.  This ended up being a perfect fit. 


Time to set aside the signatures and decorate the cover.  I had lots of bits and pieces of papers left over from when I was making my signatures, so of course I though why now use them to on the cover!  I started placing them on the cover of the book until I was happy with the layout.  Took a photo so I could replicate...

So, how did I do?!  As usual, I didn't quite get it the same, but I am happy either way!  I then repeated it on the back.  I adhered it all using Golden's Regular Gel Matte, strictly due to the weight of this collection's cardstock. 


Next it was time to cover the inside - this time I took a vintage dictionary page strip for the actual spine and larger sections of cut papers to cover the inside. I once again used Golden's Regular Gel Matte. 


Once it was down securely, I put down the sheets on the front and back inside covers.



Then trimmed off any access.


Now it is time to bind it.  I used the similar five loop binding system as described in this blog post.  I used a scrap sheet of paper to get my dimensions correct due to my varying page sizes (more on that later). Using my awl. I punched through  the opened signature (securely clipped) and the book cover.  It is important to make sure you are in the proper location of the spine as you are inserting three signatures.  I therefore put my first signature in the center of the spine.  I used waxed linen for my binding thread. The awl and needle I picked up at our local sewing shop a few years ago.  If you have the old Making Memories Tool Kit (that has the hammer in it), it has a great awl and needle inside!


As you can see in the photo below, my first two signatures went in perfect! The third one (far right), not so much!  The spine not only was getting tight to work in, but my smallest sheet on this signature was 4.5" top to bottom which of course didn't work out so good for my stitching!
I find it is always best to have a minimum of THREE stitches on a sheet so it remains secure enough for you to actually work in our journal!  So TIPSTER - next time measure your signature with the smallest sheet inside first!  This can be hidden of course if I chose to cover the spine at some point with Book Binding Tape, or even some canvas!


Here are a few more shots of the book as it is now.... 
 



It does need a closure eventually, but does stay closed enough when laying down now (for now). But in good ol' Wendy fashion, she can't find her closures and refuses to open a new pack off the shelf as she has done that way too many times!

NOTE: This is by no means an 'original' design - it has been down before and will no doubt be done many many many more times.  It is simply my take on it. I first was inspired by a similar stitching format with a class I took with Traci Bautista where she encouraged you to use your own art pages to create a journal.  I simply went out on may own inspirations and came up with this way and all the tips I have suggested are what I found to work best in the several journals I have created since.

*-*-*-*

Today, I did my first page in the journal...you can say I broke it in!

Started off with a light covering a white gesso.


My color palette today was limited: Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, Titanium White and Black (Gesso).


I started out using one stencil but all four 'colors' (blending and mixing along the way and layers). The stencil is a StencilGirl one designed by Rae Missigman called Puddles.


Again, when i use stencils, I tend to use only bits and pieces and turn, flip and move it around the page as I work and layer texture and color(s).


When you go too far, you tend to get this hot mess.  I find that the addition of white is more often than not a pages savior!


Not only white, but some more visual texture.  I brought this by using more stencils - StencilGirl stencils by Traci Bautista and Rae Missigman including: Deconstructed Cabbage, Deconstructed Zinnia, Deconstructed Lily, Imaginary Bloom, and Nonsensical Bloom.

Once the white has been added, I will often add another focal point of color, usually one of the underlying ones in its raw form.


In the photo below, you can see the brands I used for colors and also see the pile of stencils I used!


Must say, I kinda like this page and thinking I will call it done...for now!



Don't forget to keep an eye on my Instagram and Facebook accounts (and I'd love it if you would follow along) as I tend to post there more often (just not as much detail)!

Most products are linked to my online store W2 Scrapbooking & Mixed Media Art Studio and if I don't carry it, I will often link to where you can find it.

until next time...

2 comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...