Friday, April 29, 2016

Weekend Junket #09



Here we go...April's final set of prompts:

APRIL 

Colors/feelings that Inspire...SPRING

What do you feel like or what colors do you think of when you think of spring?  Use that as yet another inspiration for your project(s) this time around.

#w2wj09

add character - draw an element (leaf, feather, tree, etc)
technique - decoupage paper
tool - palette knife/hotel key card


At times I may find it interesting to put a twist on the prompts is to use the term....
Use something NEW, something OLD something BORROWED and something BOLD!
Now understand that I may not use the above on every challenge, but  I sure am gonna try!  


Here is my take...

This is where "the tale of three pages"  began!  My choice of goodies - Craft Consortium Decoupage Papers in Flutter of Butterflies, Prima's  Finnabair Art Basics 2" Silicone Brush along with a hotel key card and Catalyst Wedge. Finally a few choice pens and pencils - Grease Pencil, Faber Castell Pitt Pens in Black & White.



I layered on a very heavy coat of Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso with my Finnabair Brush (which rocks btw)! Smoothed out where needed with a key card.




Applied the Decoupage paper to the spread while it was still wet and pushed it in good and smoothed out and/or crinkled as I wanted.  Applied a few scrapes over top of the gesso and applied water to wash it out.   


Now I thought I might was well try one of the newer items on this page (why not, right) - not quite what I was expecting, but kinda enjoyed it I must say!  It is Prima's Finnabair Art Extravagance Rust Effect Paste (sorry, out of stock). Colors included in the pack are Brown Rust, Red Rust and Gold Rust (l-r).  Again, applied using the Silicone Brush quite thickly. 


While it was still wet, I literally hammered it with (spritzed) water and tilted the journal so I could get drips.  


now it has to dry...over night! 


Okay, once again I will apologize for lack of photos...got carried away, frustrated and then excited again!  There are so many layers of paints and creams it is hard to tell - but it really looks awesome.  The texture really came through on the decoupage paper. You can see in the background a few of the colors I used - DecoArt Media which are becoming a quick fave of mine.

I sketched out a branch/leave using my Grease Pencil


Added color with my finger - Quinocridone Gold and Medium Grey. I blended (okay, smudged) the lines then added scribbles using my Fineline Applicator


Now it was time to work on the other side!  I was stumped for a bit on this one, loved it as is, but knew I wouldn't be content to leave it alone.  So added lines using the Fineline Applicator.


Good? 


Nope...time for some water! Really enjoy the bleeding of this!  Let it dry totally before going onto the next step...it needed some white! 


Or so I thought!  Tried using my Faber Castell White Gelato  through a stencil...didn't work.


Pulled out my DecoArt Media Titan Buff Acrylic Paint and sponged it through my Crafter's Workshop Stencil Chevron (TCW227).  




There you have it!  Actually quite like this one - turned out better than I expected after all the issued I had (see post Tale of Three Pages).  Thanks for stopping by.  Next post is May May 13!

  **Reminder...full details on ways to win a shop credit can be found on 
the tab above (Weekend Junket 2016)  **

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...