Wednesday, October 2, 2019

A Summer of Books & Color

Greeting from the land of the procrastination....for this blog that is. 

I am sure it has not come unnoticed that I have a tendency to ignore this blog.  I'd like to say I am sorry, but in reality, I just have my doubts on if it is something that is worth me spending as much time as I do when I take the time to sit down and write here. Time will tell I guess.  But for now, I will take this time and show you what I have been up to for the last few months.

April & May were a complete blur for me - I had so much on my plate and looking back, it was so worth it, but boy was I done once they were over. I traveled a few thousands of kilometers over two provinces and would probably do it all over again.  I spent quality time with friends and family. Made new friends and of course got to cross a huge activity off my bucket list.  What was that you ask?


I traveled to Calgary to take a workshop with Robert Burridge! I have been following Bob for many many years and it was always a dream to go to the states and take one of his workshops.  The man is a serious genius when it comes to art. His knowledge (and honesty) is second to none. I learnt more about myself as a growing artist than I had intended on, and for that I will be forever grateful.

Once I had returned from this amazing experience I was burnt out and ready for some much needed down time - and down time I took....

I got back into just sitting back, enjoying the simple life...I read. And boy did I read.  Over the course of the next two months, I read 30+ fiction & non fiction books (17 fiction in July alone)! I was great to simply sit on the deck (sadly often under the umbrella due to the rain).  My brain really needed it.  For those wondering, I read the entire series by James Patterson, The Women's Murder Club along with a couple more by Graeme Simsion (the Rosie series).

I did do a little creating in July though.  I have a wonderful friend down in the states that has done so much for me and I just wanted to send her something to let her know how much I appreciated her.  I had received a package from her prior to this and wanted to give back in the best way I knew how...

photo credit - PaperHarborCo

I created a 10x10" wooden cradle board decorated in everything Suzy (and of course a few touches of me).  I also made this adorable paper journal made from 100% reused and recycled papers. The majority of the papers on the panel were either given or purchased from Suzy (AKA PaperHarborCo.), I then added a few 'found' or 'created by myself' bits and pieces.

Here are a few close ups of the panel:




The idea for the paper journal came while I was sitting on the couch reading one of my books....I was day dreaming and looking at my ever growing basket of packing paper.  It was just screaming to be made into a book. you can see it, right?!


Once all somewhat smoothed out, I pulled out my dusty sewing machine and simply sewed down the middle.


The addition of miscellaneous papers from my found, recycled and purchased vintage papers was a blast.  I took into account Suzy's likes, family and hobbies when I created this.  I also showcased many of her items that she sells on her Etsy shop, PaperHarborCo.




The tags you see throughout the journal were gifts from her just to see what I would do with them...little did she know I would use them with her in mind (note...I kept several for myself;)



These are hand dyed by Suzy herself, you can find them here:


As you can see, I was having some fun with the free foot stitching and seriously let 'er rip! The inclusion of the tags was a no brainer.


Isn't it cool that I was even able to create my 'W'?!



I also used some of my jumbo tags from my Ranger stash and added some vintage bus tickets.


Another jumbo tag, this time using some old Jenny Bowlin Studios perforated ticket paper




This target paper makes me giggle, her daughters are both in rifle shooting (?? am I even saying that right??)






I also kept up on my monthly color mixing with the Experience True Colors Art Program.  This has really kept my on track and allowed me to understand the mixing of colors so much easier.

Each month, Kellee creates a palette and shows how to mix it.  The hardest thing is me and my ocd. The mixing is hard to match as we all know that our computer screens are never a joint match.  Letting go of this was hard at first, I am getting better.  I know that it is meant as a starting off point, and I can now do that.

Here are the last few months. I always start with mixing my palette then use the paints in my journal in whatever speaks to me at the time.  After all, it is just paint, just paper and just play (and of course practice)!

June (Summer Solstice)



July (Trust the Tides)



 August (Let's Get Lost)



September (Simply Fierce)


I will end it here today as I am sure I have pretty much lost you all by now.  I am working on my next post this week as well.  If you have been following along on my Facebook page, you will have seen bits and pieces of how I spent the better part of August and September.  I will share more details here on the blog about it all.  

If you are still here, please drop me a comment to let me know you were,  I would like to know if all this is worth it.  I love to share my experiences and spread the knowledge I am gaining through all my projects and studies.

Have a great day!

You can also find more regular posts (just not as detailed) over on my Facebook & Instagram accounts @w2studioarts. I look forward to seeing you there too...



No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...