Friday, December 12, 2014

December Daily?

I decided this year NOT to do a December Daily....okay, let me back track a bit here!  It is not like I actually ever 'completed' a December Daily - I start with creating a base of some kind then get bored or overwhelmed with what is going on in December and it gets moved to the 'one day I'll finish you' basket! Don't try and tell me you don't have one of those too!!

So this year, I decided I would do a December Journal.  I have created a paper journal using 12x12" Paper from My Mind's Eye (Sleigh Bells Ring), and made enough pages to do '12 days' of Winter/Christmas/Seasonal images all done using strictly the Sleigh Bells Ring Collection (12x12" Paper, 6x6" Paper Pad, Washi Tape, Ephemera Die Cuts, Decorative Tags, etc) and the usual art journal mediums (paint, gesso, matte medium, etc). Oh, and let's not forget, the entire journal will be inspired by the talented Christy Tomlinson.  All the inspirational images will be from my Pinterest board found here.

Let's get started!

here is what I am using...


I built my jouranl using the 12x12" papers; scored at 8.5" and that is where I overlaped to create the fold/seam.


here is the front - it measures 8.5 x 12"


this is all I had left from the paper pack once I finished building the journal...


I measured out the center of the page and then spaced out every two inches up and down from there so I had a total of 5 holes.  I wanted to use the five hole binding technique on this journal as it is simple and of course easy to do!





page one...here we go!  


weird I know, but I covered it up with gesso!


one it was dry, I added some heavy body paint by liquitex...


I used my starbucks gift card to spread out the paint...


after I added more colors, I found it too bright for me, so I painted over the entire spread with white gesso (sorry for the lack of photos, but that is what happens when things are sometimes not going the way you like). 


see, better already!


now it is time for some mark making.  I simply used a paper towel tube and dug it into the paint (as it was quite thick) and then my starbucks card to create lines and swooshes!



this is the right hand side of the page, I wanted it a bit more dramatic, so did some dripping with some neon high flow paints by golden.


here is a photo of my color palette and brands...


since I was going to be building a large snowman, decided to just put a good size squirt on the matte medium right on the page.


now it was time to build my snowman!  I simply cut random widths and lengths from my 6x6" paper pad  to build him up.



see, I built a snowman!


I opened up my emphemera die cut pack to see what I could use - found the antlers and thought they would make perfect arms (simply cut them in half).


instead of a carrot nose, saw this mustache and thought PERFECT! Every snowman deserves a mustache!


next was the addition of the red cardinal die cut...


added some light modeling paste for the 'snow' at his base.


totally forgot every snowman has to have a scarf too! using my scraps, I added them on!
 

now it is time for some outlining using my Faber Castell Black Brush Pens (Reg and Big Brush) as well as a few roughly/random stamps along the way. Sorry, forgot to mention I added some Dina Wakley paints over the paper to mute it and give it yet another layer of interest.





I also added some white using my Uniball White Signo Pen...


here is a shot that shows where I 'scribbled' using my Uniball Signo Black Pen (that thing writes on anything)! 


now it is time to start working on the right hand side of the page - I am going to build a snowflake this time!


just cut up pieces from the 6x6" pad again and tried to make a snowflake, not my best piece of work, but isn't there something about not all snowflakes are created equally? then I added the wooden 'enamel' (but actually they are wood) dots.


time to use the big brush pen and trace around the outside of the snowflake.  once that was done, I tapped my finger on a baby wipe and rubbed away to get the effect I was after...


again, I 'scribbled' using my Uniball Signo White and Black pens...



the finished result - day one of twelve completed!


see you back soon with another page (only 11 more to go in 20 days)! eek...

Most products shown here can be purchased at W2 Scrapbooking.  Be sure to head over to my Facebook page and Instagram too (@bwdward) for more inspiration.

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...