Wednesday, October 13, 2021

201


"201"

24x24x1.5" wrapped canvas 
Professional Grade Artist Materials - Acrylics

This is me again going (way) outside my comfort zone! I wanted to use a color once again I very seldom use - green! Boy, was in over my head for a while on this one.  I had to did deep and ask for a lot of input from Julie (and even her mentor Chris Cozen) to walk me off the ledge on this one. Once I got out of my own head, things really started to come together and I saw the finish line. And I will say I crossed it with a lot of satisfaction.

This piece was based on the process of another of Julie's classes - Caught Up in the Layers.  It provides a very thought provoking number of steps to get to your end game. Having a video workshop and companion printed book (and now digital version), make for a fantastic way to learn and implement your own art practices. Please note that not all the steps are shown or talked about due to this being a paid (and active)  class on her website.

the palette

getting the paint on and loading up on coverage

more coverage, contrast and markings

more markings

when the best laid plans go off the rails...

trying to fix it, it takes time and every ounce of my patience

stepping back and loading up the marks as believe it or not, I have a direction

many stages have passed by and you too can see it is close

continuing to add those much needed bumps of color(s)



You can really see just about all the stages here if you look close. I know it is much harder online than in person. Sadly it really doesn't photograph well (in my opinion), green is on of the hardest to show its truest hue. Perhaps one day I will learn to photograph it and give it the justice it deserves.

You can see from the paint list below how quickly I forgot to simply use my color mixing history (ugh).  I know now it was me just trying to use up colors verses being smart on my choices.  This is also the piece that made me go back to the books and re read my studies on color mixings. As many of you know, I have been doing a deep dive on color theory as well as composition fundamentals over the past few years. Somehow I let much of it slip within my own process.

Golden Paints: Jenkins Green, Quinacridone Violet, Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, Burnt Sienna, Phthalo Green Blue Shade, Bone Black, Hansa Yellow Medium, Titanium White, Sap Green, Chromium Oxide Green, Sap Green, Zinc White and Turquoise Phthalo.

Color Marking: Posca Paint Pens, Liquitex Paint Pens, Caran D'Arche NeoColorII

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...