Thursday, November 14, 2019

Paper + Sewing Machine = ?

Stitched Paper Stacks of course!

I have been doing so much painting lately, I was really feeling the need to collage. Keeping in mind the Experience True Colors November color palette, I was quick to think up these adorable stacks of new and old, found and bought, black and white papers.


The idea came from a the previous day when I was creating a journal page of collage elements again using many of these elements, but thinking it may have need more, but just not sure. Here is that page, still unsure about it, but for now, I have turned the page!


The printed images you are seeing in the one above are from a scanned stencil (see more about that here) and the others are from images I created on an app called Paper53. I have created many unique patterns on this program and then simply print them off to use in collage.  It is not much different than reusing images of your own journal pages in other pieces. Easy peasy!!
Here is a sampling of some I have created:


Having said that, you can also create these with a paint brush and paint (india ink works awesome too) on copy papers or tissue papers. Heck you can even paint on book pages! Like I have said so many times in the past...your imagination is your only limitation.


So back to the stitched paper stacks - I made quite a few, using strictly black and white papers, and using a good mix of old and new.  I just stacked them into a what I thought were visually appealing formats and then stitched together with my good old sewing machine. I varied the stitch width of the zig zag and of course always back stitched at the top and bottom. I also made sure to leave the excess thread long and visible.


The large numbers are from large poster paper (11x17") that I created on my computer and then printed off at Staples.


More found and vintages papers - Flashcards, Library return label & catalog card, floral wrap and glassine bag.


This one even has a flap from an old sewing pattern.


book pages, index card, price card...possibilities are endless as you can see.


Not papers were off limits, I even used the scraps!



This one was fun - it was a page from an old magazine that was just waiting for some embellishments.


These last two are mostly found &/or newer items. I've got transparencies, found mail, playing cards, tickets and tags.



These were a blast to create and know I will create lots more. They are perfect for quick add ins to journals, collage pages (or canvases), tags and so much more.  Thinking I may have to make some using some actual color now!


No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...