Tuesday, June 30, 2020

#getyourpainton (part two)

Day 4:

For this days palette, I was inspired by colors of an image on Instagram. I am not by any means a 'blue' kind of person, but I always seem to be attracted to art on Instagram in this palette - weird, I know. My home is decorated in a neutral palette, the thought of putting a color on my wall sends me in a tail spin.

Anyhoo - today's juice...

Strathmore Series 400 Watercolor 12x18"
Gesso - Liquitex Professional (White)
Golden Fluid Acrylics - Paynes Gray, Anthraquinone Blue, Titanium White & Carbon Black.
Brush - Royal SG700 3/4", SG3010 #8
Stabilo Woody - Royal Blue, Black & White.


When I taped this time, I wanted to have more smaller ones as small is where I struggle the most. Looks like I neglected to take a shot of it, but you can see it better in the third photo after the peel.

I applied the paints again in varying strokes, long and short. I tried to add direction in the way of marks/shapes - circles (also half circles) and oddly shaped squares/rectangles. I am trying to get in some interesting marks using the brushes for a change verses the Woody's. I am also using the paints more to mix to get my contrasts and values as I have the limited palette of colors.



When it came time to add the Woody's, I really tried hard not to look at the taped areas and really let my hand run free across the surface. I pressed hard and made sure to have the Woody turn regularly in my hand so it would not look too contrived.


The reveal on this one I will admit was pretty epic.  I turned out so good. I was able to achieve an amazing balance of color, value and space.


I am trying hard not to force any of this, but I know for a fact that I. I am always aware of making sure that I have each of the colors used in each section, often more than once.


I once again really watched the directions and how I thought they would look best with the framing when I cut. I am in awe on how much I like this palette- I may have to break down and try this on a larger surface.

Need a refresh of my Elements and Principles? Here's a quick refresh...

Elements are visual building blocks to influence your design process. Principles are the tools for arrangements that influence the design.  Their end result is to achieve unity in the composition of your art.


Now let's break it down a bit more (but simply)...
Elements:

  • Line - can be literal or implied. It can produce shape.
  • Shape - an area that stands out from space due to a boundary, color or texture.
  • Space - is a feeling, can be 2D, 3D or 4D; negative or positive; proportion, scale; overlapping space.
  • Form - is referring to volume or mass (3D)
  • Texture - visual or literal
  • Value - light verses dark
  • Color - most complex; light, primary, harmony & intensity.

I tend to group them as I have above as this way I feel they work together and can become even more cohesive as a whole.

Principles:

  • Contrast - values, colors, textures, shapes, sizes & even color temperatures
  • Emphasis - focal point
  • Unity/Variety - all the elements fit together in unity, but there needs to be variety. However, too much variety creates a havoc as your eye needs a place to rest.
  • Movement - repetition of an element that creates movement
  • Pattern - a unique repetition of a shape (or element) in different areas which will then create a pattern
  • Rhythm - creating movement that is implied by the repetition of  elements 
  • Balance - visual weight
Your art will be successful with Unity, Variety, Contrast & Emphasis. If it is visually balanced and moves the eye around the painting, you will have good composition.

Are you still with me?  

How about Day 5:

Strathmore Series 400 Watercolor 12x18"
Gesso - Liquitex Professional (White)
Golden Fluid Acrylics - Phthalo Green (Blue Shade), Green Gold, Anthraquinone Blue & Titan Buff 
Brush - Royal SG700 3/4", SG3010 #8
Stabilo Woody - Royal Blue, Dark Green, Lime Green & White.

Today was yet another big challenge for me - green...ugh! Love it as a color, outside, on the ground and in the trees! 

I again made sure when I taped it off, I had several smaller areas to force me to keep my strokes to a minimum. I have to really work at it not to allow myself to go over the strokes that 'ran out of paint' - I want to see how the paint reacts wet on wet and dry on dry. Limit my brush strokes and add more colored pencils marks.


It is always interesting to note that even with all those scribbles (above), they really are not as obvious in the image below.  I have found that in most of the studies so far.



The cuts as usual, are planned out after the tape peel.  I look at all the angles to see what I think is the best composition according the my earlier notes and cut accordingly.

I am adding these to my ever growing stack. What am I going to do with them? You'll see....tomorrow!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...