Wednesday, July 1, 2020

#getyourpainton (part three)

Day 6:

I made a comment in a Facebook group that I belong to and it gave me the idea to do this next color combo.  Green & Brown.  I have said it before, and I will continue to say it, I love the color green, outside...on the ground or in the trees.  I love when I see kitchens done in the old avocado green and then I melt if it has butcher block counters...just not in my house!

So today I pulled out some ready mixed craft paints and got to work.

Strathmore Series 400 Watercolor 12x18"
Gesso - Liquitex Professional (White)
Martha Stewart Crafts Acrylics - Olive Green, Granny Smith, Vanilla Bean & Grey Wolf
Brush - Princeton Catalyst Bright #10 & 8
Stabilo Woody - Lime Green, Brown, White & Silver

You will see I had yet another idea to change up the taping this time as well.  Wanting to know how a pattern within the taping would effect the outcome as well as how I applied the paint.




Here are a few close ups so you can see I did include some intended shapes with the Woody's.  I is really hard to color outside the lines when it was always instilled you stay within.  I 'color outside the lines' in so many other aspects of my life, but sure not when it is literal!




Some interesting images came out of this taping. Not sure I am liking it enough to do it again though. Thinking once they are cut I may change my mind.


Hmm, what do you think?  As much as I life the colors, I think they are too disconnected.  I wonder if this was to be done in a larger format with out the smaller grid how it would look.  That will be for another day when I am bored.


So, let's look at the elements - line, shape, value and space jump out right away to me. When you zoom in, there is definitely texture in the paint as the stroke goes across the paper and loses its strength.  The principles - I can see them all. Some of them, too many.

Day 7:

This one is way out in left field as I was looking for a book earlier and came across my Tracy Verdugo "Paint Mojo" and it got me to thinking how she using Acrylic Inks...here we go again, down another rabbit hole!


Strathmore Series 400 Watercolor 12x18"
Daler Rowney FW Artist Acrylic Inks - White, Prussian Blue, Flame Orange, Yellow Ochre & Red Earth
Wooden Skewer
Water Spritzer
Mitsubishi Dermatograph Pencils - yellow, green, orange, teal, white & navy.

No gesso this time, no pre-wetting. Simply using the dropper of the inks, got the ink to the paper is the same process I would have applied paint with a brush.  when I got near the end of the process, I would simply squirt out the ink onto the surface and let it fall where it may.  I then spritzed with water to get the inks to spread and or blend.  When it was still good and wet, I used my skewer to 'draw' shapes and marks often dragging the inks into each other.  When I had excess, I use a paper towel edge lightly dipped to the pool of inks to lift it up. Then I hit it will the heat tool to dry it fully before going at it with the pencils.


One thing to note when using inks in this format, you need to make extra sure that your burnish good and hard.  I really focused on where the tape intersected and gave it even more pressure.  I did pretty good with very little seepage.  I believe I had two small areas towards the left center. Doing this, you will also risk the chance of the tape lifting the paper when you peel back.  I again, did limited noticeable damage.



When there is this much water & ink, you have the opportunity for it to go a few different ways - muddy or some pretty amazing results.  I had some of both.


I do really enjoy pulling the inks away from the puddles and making interesting shapes, designs and such.  Mine tend to be botanical for some reason, although hard to tell in the images.


When you dry, the true colors are revealed - some better than others!


Once again, I neglected to take a photo of the pencil stage. It always seems to help in my opinion. I can add the lighter marks to bring out the colors and then use the darker ones to push back the lighter.


The cut. These are interesting, but definitely not one of my faves.  It is fine though as this is a study and needless to say, you are not going to have success with each and every one.  


Looking at these one for elements and principles is for sure a bit strange for me as there is a total different feel to them. When you are used to seeing strokes and now you are seeing a totally different shape as a whole, almost blob like.

A simple evaluation of these - does it have: line, shape, space, form, value, color &/or texture? Did these elements create unity, variety, contrast, emphasis, balance, movement, pattern or rhythm? Once you can look at your art objectively and honestly, you will be able to pick what works and what doesn't easily. You will trust your instinct.

Once you are at this stage, there is a good chance you will have found your 'style' or at least where you are most comfortable. If not, there is nothing wrong with trying new things, it aids you in finding where you (want) to belong in YOUR space.  Just don't compare yourself to anyone else. You are the only you out there, you are truly a one of a kind...like it or not!  You'll find you, I did.


I have a great stash built up now, each one will be used eventually. Whether I use them as business cards, note cards, future studies, framed pieces....your guess is as good as mine.  They have served their purpose as of right now.  No wastage, I used paint, I used my mind, I created something and I learned along the way. Sounds like a good use of my time.

The study end...

Hope you were able to get something out of this. I try to translate many of the technical aspects of art in a simpler form as I tend to over analyze a process simply because I get hung up on a word. With all the research and readings I have done, I have tried to put it in simple words that I won't end up going down yet another preverbal rabbit hole. This self study has allowed me to move on when it comes to composition, if it helps you great, if not...good luck and enjoy your ride!

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...