Wednesday, October 6, 2021

202

 


"202"
24x24x1.5" wrapped canvas
profession grade artist materials - acrylics

I started this one mid December 2020. I had a plan from the start and surprisingly was able to stay on track right to the end. This piece was was based on the concepts taught by Julie Prichard's online workshop Expressionism Vol 2 (my personal favorite). I stuck with the steps she laid out but of course had to also use my own knowledge on what I knew and liked.

The only issue I ever really had with this one was the dominant color - Teal.  This is a color I have a real aversion to from a past instructor and let's not mention over kill on the market.  If you know me, I clearly don't follow the norm.

I was definitely able to get through this on fairly quickly, just less that three weeks start to finish. The visual layers on this one are very interesting and love the depth of colors, contrast and shapes.

Here are a few process images to show you how I got to the completed image...

as it always begins, getting paint onto the canvas

more paint coverage along with a few marks (acrylic paint pens)

more marks with paint (and paint pens)

the beginning of knowing where I want to go next

coverage, marks...all the while keeping an eye on the composition direction

the pushing and pulling continues

it's so close, just needs that final boost of color


Golden Paints: Cobalt Blue, Paynes Gray, Phthalo Green Blue Shade, Titan Buff, Teal, Titanium White, Hansa Yellow Medium and Prussian Blue

Color Marking: Posca Paint Pens, Caran D'Ache NeoColorII, Liquitex Paint Pens, homemade mixed paint pens using Molotow Empty Pump Markers


One thing to note when I state my colors, I often will mix colors on my palette, very seldom will a paint go straight onto my canvas in its original "straight out of the bottle/tube" color.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a peek at what's been going on.



No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...