Wednesday, September 20, 2017

This has got to be a record!

I am so on a roll here!  As much as I am trying to stay creative, I am trying just as hard with keeping up with the blog posts!  How am I doing so far?

As you have seen in the last several post, I have been using my stencils like crazy...this one is no different...yet different!

I am continuing to use my Dyan Reaveley Dylusions Paints in the new Fall 2017 Color Release .  I agains start using the lightest color and work towards the dark side (I do add two Martha Stewart Multi Surface Satin paints in Peas Shoot & Surf).  The stencil I am using is the new Crafter's Workshop Crazy Waves (TCW743).  Sadly I forgot to take pictures along the way (sorry) and used the colors randomly across the stencil.  I am working in my 9x12" Mixed Media Journal and the stencil is going from Top to Bottom vertically.  

I add another layer of stencil, Crafter's Workshop Lacy Tiles (TCW735) again using the same colors and going back to my old habit of turning, flipping and moving the stencil around the page.

TIP:  I have mentioned before and will mention again - I find the best use for stencils in the way I journal and work on mixed media - is to NOT use the entire stencil as is.  I prefer to use bits and pieces of a stencil.  I mix up the colors, the areas of the stencil I use; I flip, turn, move, mask and whatever else I think will work and be different.  I use sponges to disperse the paint.  It will range from the little white disposable make up wedges, those foam blenders, Sofft applicators, Sea Sponges, Craft Foam...bottom line...I like FOAM for application of any of my paints. Dip and dab.  Less paint on your sponge is always the answer.

You can see in this photo - there are some pencil marks under the paint as well.  Well, they are actually on top of the paint, just a light application trying to give some visual depth to the page.  This is something I picked up over the years from Rae Missigman and Roben-Marie Smith.  Sometimes they stay, sometimes they are never seen again!


You can see here where I pulled out the purple in full bore wanting to  push all the under layers back.  Really liking how it was going.


I add yet another layer using Crafter's Workshop  Kitchen Tile (TCW751).  Now I wanted to recreate the idea from an earlier idea of using this stencil with Soft Gel (remember that epic fail?), but this time instead of taking a chance a losing this base - I simply used Black Paint! This stencil is the Crafter's Workshop Brocade (TCW195). I offset it on the page - really like it...but is it too dark? Backing is so stark now? Oh what to do?!


Why, add more of course!! I pulled out my Dylusions Old School Numbers stencil. I really made sure this time I dabbed off a good amount of the paint from the sponge so it would not be too dark.  You can see in some areas of the Brocade stencil, I actually took a baby wipe to it and wiped away some of the crispness of the stencil design.  Starting to really like it now!


Here it is full page!  Deceiving isn't it when only partial page shots are used! This is pretty true to the colors (on my screen).


This next image is with a bit more wiping with a baby wipe.  Grunged it up some more. Then added a pale white thought the Crafter's Workshop Onion Skin (TCW447s) to push it all back.



Calling it done!!



This next one I wanted to try the idea of creating a pattern of my own freely drawing a clear division on the page using a permanent ink pen (in this case a Faber Castell Pitt Pen, but you could use any off the others out there too - Fudeball, just confirm with directions on the package first).  I used the following stencils & Dyan Reaveley Paints on this image (from top left and going clockwise):  Joggles Leaf Specimen with Rose Quartz paint, Crafter's Workshop Crazy Waves with Mushy Peas (just didn't change my sponge); Crafter's Workshop Onion Skin with Peony Blush; Crafter's Workshop Art Deco Leaves (TCW450) with Laidback Lilac. You can see I tried to keep the stencil images within the lines!  Hmm now what?


It obviously needed some black and something to bring the separated areas together - so black it was!  I used a very dry sponge with black gesso (Finnabair Heavy Gesso - Black) and used the following stencils - Crafter's Workshop Damask (TCW242) and Onion Skin (TCW450s).  I then thought it might be a cool idea to blend the edges between the colors....ugh! FAIL!


So what to do now? Yuppers, you guessed correctly...brought out my fingers! Opened up the jars and started blending it up and out!




Don't you just love this part? So freeing knowing it is all just paint and you can always just paint over it all! Only evidence is all the pictures I've posted along the way! 



While the paint was still wet, I took a plastic pick and scraped and scratched in the paints once again trying to create a division.  Made a few marks along the way too.








So now what? I can't possibly leave it as this could I? NOPE!

I has seen this post on a group on FB - It was done by Lisa Oxley (sorry have no idea on her blog or IG , still looking for more on it)


Thinking I could possibly interpret mine toward this.  There was hope!

Out came a Donna Downey Stencil Circles & Stripes (#DD-081) along with Liquitex Soft Body Titanium White and my finger. I added three rough circles.  I also pulled out the new Dina Wakley Media Stencil - Scales (DMS58281) and randomly in a pattern strategically placed the black scale marks!


I used the Finnabair Heavy Black Gesso again as I prefer the coverage I get with it.  I add some scales in White as well (using the Liquitex Soft Body Titanium White).


Once it was kinda dry (let's face it, I waited maybe 2 min if I'm lucky)!  I used my Pilot Multiball Pen (Fine) and doodled around the circles and the scales.

To get the thicker black around the scales going down from the large circle, I used the gesso and #4 flat brush.  I really wanted it to be rough, so I used limited paint and a very dry brush.




Thinking it need more marks - I pulled out a variety of pens & markers and started doing just that.




To get the smugging - I used the Faber Castell Graphite Aquarelle and simply tapped my finger on a wet baby wipe and blended away. 



A few scribbles never hurt a page either!

Good enough to call done!


Thanks for sticking around! Hope you are enjoying the posts.  Should be able to get a couple more up this week...yes, I have been creating that much!!


As usual - I have linked items to the shop where I can!

Follow me on Facebook & Instagram too, love to hear from you!

until next time....

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...