Thursday, September 21, 2017

Collage or Bust!

If you have been following me on Instagram you will have seen for sure how much Collage I have been doing lately.  This summer I found a Canadian fix for my ridiculously massive growing vintage paper stash.  The paper used on this piece was from that find.

I have since decided to start parting with some of my precious stash  and created bundles on the site so be sure to head over and grab some great deals!

But for now - here is a fun Collage and Stencil mixed media board, hope you enjoy!

I start off gessoing a 9x12" Fredrix Canvas Panel and then at it with a few of my Seth Apter Stencil Girl Stencils using Black Gesso.   You can see easily here how I turn, flip and use bits and pieces of the stencils.


Once I got a good base down, I put a layer of Liquitex Flexible Modeling Paste down.  I wanted this so I could create not only layers, but a texture.  You can see in the following pictures that I take a tool and start making marks in the paste.



Once it was dry enough, I added some vintage paper elements and adhered them down using a Liquitex Gel Medium that has white flakes in it.  I wanted to have some fore visual texture.  Not too sure it really gave me what I was after (yet), but on I progressed! 


Again, while still wet, I used my faithful plastic tool (it is a pick from a floral arrangement) and made some marks.


Really hard to see, bu they are there and visible as I progress.


As it all continues to dry(ish), I start adding more layers - this time with a graphite pencil.  Scribbles, marks, textural imprints that again, can be seen along the way. 


Now it was time for some color.  I think this palette came from an image I saw of Jodi Ohl's on Instagram.  I used what I thought it might be - Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, Teal and Titanium White.  


I add a new layer of texture - this time Liquitex Modeling Paste applied using my trusty Palette Knife.

TIP: Depending on your desired outcome and substrate you are using will often determine which palette knife I pull out.  I am sure there is a real educated/technical reason as to which to use - but for me most hard surfaces and not as rough - I tend to go with my metal palette knife and use the Dina Wakley Plastic one for softer (paper) and rougher surfaces.



Time for some more marks - this time I chose to use the Dina Wakley Media Tools as there are four different tips to choose from along with a good ole wooden dowel!  Having said that, if I was doing this on a smaller substrate, I would have used these.


Once it was somewhat dry, I added a few drops of F+W Acyrilc Ink in Sepia and of course some Black Gesso.



Tme for some more visual texture - a Faber Castell Graphite B Pencil  



It always amazes me how just the simple scribble of graphite/charcoal or a basic pencil can add that little something to the piece.

The final touch to this piece was pulling out the Lyra Water Soluble Graphite Stix.  To get this amazing look, I simply dip the stix directly into the water and holding the stix at the top with only my forefinger and thumb - doodle down the piece.  I then go over it for a second time, this time applying more pressure.  Keeping the stix wet is the real key here.  Love this stix and how it came out!


here are a few close ups!



In this final shot, you can really see the marks from the stixs and of course the white flakes from gel that was applied quite early on in the process.  You can also see the texture from the pastes - whether it was from the palette knife or the various tools!  If you look real close, you can still even see the textrure from the canvas base which was the panel! YUM!!


Thanks for stopping by! 

Don't forget to keep an eye on my Instagram and Facebook accounts (and I'd love it if you would follow along) as I tend to post there more often (just not as much detail)!

Most products are linked to my online store W2 Scrapbooking & Mixed Media Art Studio and if I don't carry it, I will often link to where you can find it.

until next time...

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...