Monday, September 18, 2017

Version Two Point OH!

Remember this one?


I wanted to try it again using the  Jenni Bowlin Studio Perforated Sheet (Stamp) as my base this time as the paper in this is much heavier than the previous one I used.  I tore up the sheet and adhered the pieces using (Prima) Finnabair's Soft Gel Matte Medium.





Was going to try and do it a bit differently and then once again, as it was drying I was surfing Instagram and came across this one by Seth Apter:


It got me thinking what if I put tissue paper over the page base?  So of course it was dry by now, so I headed back to the studio and applied a good coat of fresh Soft Gel Matte Medium.


I immediately put a sheet of Hazel and Ruby Printed Tissue paper (sorry, it is discontinued, but you could use just about anything).


I really worked in the tissue paper into the gel medium - maybe too much in some areas!


I used my palette knife and finger nails to work the paper into the creases and edge of the under papers.


 

Once it was dry enough to go onto the next application I wanted to try, I pulled out an old Crafter's Workshop Damask (TCW195, discontinued) in 6x6" and put some Golden Soft Gel Medium (Matte) through it.  Now it had to dry over night!


It took me two tries to get this good of a take...


Which will come back to haunt me!


Here it is the next day, dry and pretty much not visible through the lens.


So time to try a glaze using Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid and Dina Wakley Media Paints in Umber this time.  I put it on quite heavily.


You can see in this shot the gelled image as I start to wipe off the glaze. Sadly, it pretty much came off the entire area where the gel was put.  Why?
Think back to when I applied it a second time.  I wiped off the first try, but obviously not good enough.  Remember, the gel will react like a resist and nothing sticks to it! 


...not even full strength paint that I let dry for 5 minutes!


Only good part as far as I am concerned is the left side of the journal spread. The color is bang on and where the dark umber is visible is again drool worthy!


Lesson learnt!

I think that is good for today,  I will continue to work on  more posts over the next day or so to share more of what I have been doing.  Don't forget to keep an eye on my Instagram and Facebook accounts (and I'd love it if you would follow along) as I tend to post there more often (just not as much detail)!

Most products are linked to my online store W2 Scrapbooking & Mixed Media Art Studio and if I don't carry it, I will usually link to where you can find it.

until next time...

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...